Leadership

Student Voices Committees

31st January 2024

The best way to learn to lead is to be given the opportunity to lead. And central to our values is a commitment to our students and happily empowering each.  With this in mind, we launched nine new Student Voice Committees which will meet half termly throughout this academic year –  all designed to encourage our students to have their say and use their voices to initiate change that they want to see within our school community. 

The nine committees are: 

• Student Council
  • Student Wellbeing
  • Food Committee
  • Charities Committee
  • Teaching and Learning
  • Careers and Enterprise
  • Super and Extra Curricular
  • Sports 
  • Eco Schools

The aim of these committees is to encourage students to use their voices for good: to make changes that they want to see – to empower students to really be a part of their school community and remind them that they do have a voice and a platform to improve things. Feedback is regularly sought from all students throughout Wakefield Girls’ Senior section during Form Time. All students are encouraged to share their views on different aspects of school life as well as ideas for improvement. This insight is then addressed by our committees. 

Throughout this week there have been several committee meetings. On Monday our Student Wellbeing Committee met in the lecture theatre, led by Sixth Form student leaders Kumbi and Mariella. On Tuesday there was a hive of activity as our Super and ExtraCurricular Student Voices Committee met, chaired by Year 12 student leaders Ellie and Roisin. Both Dr Duerden-Brown and Mrs Varley were present and really valued the feedback.

Concurrently, our Teaching and Learning Committee met led by Sixth form student leaders Anna and Abigail, where form representatives from students in Years 7 to 11 gave feedback on the students’ Teaching and Learning experience, homework and assessments. Mrs Tingle and Mr Webster were on hand to answer any questions and take the minutes of the meeting.

During the meetings, the student committees discussed the matters highlighted, brainstormed ideas to improve or resolve comments, and prepared feedback and ideas for presentation to the school Senior Leadership team. 

Dr S Durden-Brown

Associate Assistant Head: Professional Excellence

Latest News

School News

Year 7 Residential to YMCA Cumbria

Read more
Music

Summer Concerts

Read more
School News

Year 11 Leavers Party

Read more
View all